Chili Two Ways

Vegetarian White Bean Chili with 2008 Eos Estate Chardonnay, Private Reserve: 5/5

2008 Eos Estate Chardonnay, Private Reserve: 93/100

When I made Chili last, Shelbey told me that the next Chili I should try to make should be a vegetarian white chili. So with chili on the menu for Amuse Bouche http://bit.ly/b2wdTJ, I decided to make a duo, one traditional, the other vegetarian.


I’m pretty sure the cashier at the grocery store thought I was preparing for the apocalypse when I walked to the check out line with close to 15 items of canned goods. The vegetarian white bean chili recipe I found, http://bit.ly/d5FCqD, called for four different types of beans and a can of diced green chilies, and the traditional chili uses four different types of beans as well, along with two kinds of caned tomatoes and tomato paste. So yes, lots of cans, and lots of beans.


The great thing about canned goods is they are always cheaper than fresh, and when it comes to Chili, it’s hard to taste the difference. Since I didn’t have to purchase any spices, which can get expensive, I spent about $30 dollars on all of the ingredients for two pots of chili that would probably serve about 25-30 people. This made each serving around $1. Take that economic crisis.


Since the vegetarian chili used sour cream as a thickening agent, when it came to wine I wanted to make sure I would have something that would be able to stand up against the sour cream’s zip. Luckily I had what I needed sitting right in front of me at home, a bottle of 2008 Eos Estate Chardonnay, private reserve. If you recall, I first paired this wine with Mark Bittman’s Pork Chops in a sherry garlic sauce, which was a huge success. With a heavy body, a floral and caramelly aroma, I knew this was a perfect choice for the chili.

When it came time to cook, I donned my mad scientist glasses and lab coat, and set out browning ground beef for one chili, sauteing peppers and onions for the other, then opening all of the cans, organizing them accordingly, and throwing all the ingredients together in a frenzy of culinary conquest. The great thing about chili is it comes together in a fairly short amount of time and can cook over low heat all day if need be. If you have the time, I recommend making chili the day before, and let it refrigerate over night. This lets everything marinate together, creating a delicious harmonization of flavors. For the vegetarian chili, this also lets the beans soak up some of the excess veggie stock, giving things a thicker, “chili-er” texture.


Fortunately for me, I was able to make the chili a day in advance so all I had to do to prepare on the day of, was put the pot over high heat, add the sour cream, and let it warm. While all the flavors of the dish are more unified, the apartment wasn’t coated in cooking smells like it was the day prior.


For garnish I shredded some colby-jack cheese, chopped some cilantro, and left out the sour cream, for Shelbey who’s a sour cream fiend. Pouring a glass of wine, I snapped some pictures and then it was time to eat. Holding the wine to my nose, I was met with those delicious aroma’s of apple blossoms, and warm caramel, all married together in light oak. Giving the wine a swirl I noticed the heavier body, and the rich darker golden color of the wine. As the wine trickled over my palate I was met with a heavier body, coated with creme brulee and fresh apples—delicious.

Taking spoonful of Chili, I tried to get a perfect bite of beans, peppers, cheese, cilantro, and sour cream. As the chili hit my tongue I was immediately met with the zip of the broth, followed by the earthiness of the black eyed peas, before giving way to the sweetness of the peppers, and the fresh crisp of the cilantro. Leaving the pot to marinate over night really helped the flavors combine in a happy marriage.


Following the bite with another drink of wine, my palate was warmed with the oak of the wine, while the sweetness of the peppers were enhanced by the warm caramel notes in the Chardonnay. The heavy body balanced the sour cream, allowing the textures of the beans to be felt and enjoyed.


As we were finishing our meals, Shelbey pointed out that it was still light outside. Soon it would be time for grilling and salads, moving away from the heavier dishes of winter, moving away from the Chardonnay’s and Cabernets, and into the Chenin Blancs and Pinot Grises of summer. As we plopped on the couch to relax, and wait for Project Runway, we weren’t left over stuffed, but we were full and satisfied. Another Perfect Pair.


1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Greg,
That Chili sure looks good. Nicely done. :)
My name is Greg Perrine also. I was googleing to see if my cooking site would show up googleing my name, and found your site. I run NetCookingTalk.com. A forum where we talk about cooking and life. I would be very interested in exchanging links and perhaps getting you to post some of your creations on my site also, with a link to your site of course. I'm Doc on NetCookingTalk.com. If you stop by be sure to look me up.
All the best,
Greg

Post a Comment