Chili for a Chilly Night

Texas Style Chili + 2008 Alamos Mabec = 5/5

I peered outside yesterday around 3:30 with thoughts of what to do for dinner on my mind. Seeing the vacant gray skies, listening to sirens wail between drops of rain, and looking at a boyfriend, lifeless as the afternoon’s backdrop, the last thing I wanted to do was bear the elements to go to the grocery store.


After a journey to the apple orchard last weekend, Michael has had his mind set on making an apple pie. Since we are leaving the state, thank goodness, for mid 70’s and Texas sunshine on Saturday, we were left with either yesterday or today to attempt a pie. So instead of walking all the way to Dominick’s we opted for Bockwinkle’s, the smaller, higher-priced, grocery store only 5 minutes away from our front door (less time in the rain, 2-3 dollars more expensive, sounded worth it to me).


So great, we were going to have pie, but what about dinner? I know some of you are thinking pie sounds like a great dinner, but having come from a well balanced family, I could not justify just pie. After debating with Michael for a minute, we decided on chili.

When it comes to chili, spices can get expensive. Buying entire jars of spices for a dash of seasoning can start to pile up, so what I recommend is buying a chili kit. Will it taste as good as buying all the separate spices? If you doctor it up, you betcha. Michael is accustom to a little box called Carol Shelby’s Texas Chili Mix, which calls for 2 pounds of ground beef, and some tomato sauce, but you can get any chili mix and modify it to your liking. To mine, I added a can of dark kidney beans, white kidney beans, chili beans, and a can that can only be found in Texas, ranch style beans. After browning the beef and adding it to the beans, I added the spices in the mix, a can of tomato sauce, a can of water, and a can of Ro Tel for some added depth. Oh, and I almost forgot, about a 10 second squeeze of Ketchup, for a little sweetness. From there all you have to do is simmer. Easy as that.


For wine, I did a little research, according to a 2005 post from www.wineskinny.com An Argentine Malbec has the fruity flavors and subtle tannins that Chili craves. Expecting a limited wine selection at Bockwinkle’s, I was prepared to settle for a cheap merlot or cabernet. To my surprise, the small store had an ample wine selection featuring many wines in the 10 to 20 dollar range. I was able to find a 2008 Alamos Malbec for $11.99 a bottle.

For an extra bonus, I served the chili over elbow noodles, and garnished with cheddar cheese and crumbled corn bread. The effect, a tex-mex menage a trois: chili, noodles, and cheese. While the chili had a slow growing heat, the over all flavor was not burn your mouth off hot, but spicy. Elbow noodles were the perfect compliment for chili, providing extra action squeezing spicy goodness out of every tube. A mild cheddar cheese added a base to ground the flavors to, while the corn bread crumbles provided a crunch.


The wine offered strong notes of blackberry and oak, with a hint of earthiness, like black pepper or dirt. The rich reddish color and heavier body swirled around my glass coating the sides before pouring into my mouth. Weighing heavy on my palate, the wine was still flavorful, with a lingering finish.


Together the Texas chili and the Argentine Malbec were a picture perfect arranged marriage. While the chili provided a crucible of American and Mexican flavors, the Malbec provided a depth and richness. The two played double dutch, taking turns coating the tongue, before tangling upon one another. With my eyes closed I could see the vibrancy of Agentina’s vineyards melding with the a sad Texas history. Moments lost in food are some of the most scrumptious.


Although I completely over stuffed my self with dinner, I had done a rigorous work out earlier in the day, and could not say no to the warm smells of cinnamon and sweet apples wafting from the oven. Michael followed Paula Deen’s Crunch Top Apple Pie recipe, full of butter and southern hospitality http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/crunch-top-apple-pie-recipe2/index.html


Filled to the brim, slipping into yet another food induced coma, we tuned into our Thursday night ritual, Project Runway. Slipping in and out of consciousness in our warm apartment, the gloomy weather seemed like a distant memory. This was truly a perfect pair.

1 comments:

Shelbey said...

white chili next time! with more paula dean!

<3

Post a Comment