A little comfort before a long run

Domino’s Pizza + 2007 Blackstone Winery Merlot: 3/5

With the Chicago Marathon, a gloomy day, and an afternoon of navigating through the herds of people at the runner expo, slaving over the stove was not high on the priority list last night. Not to fear, this gave me a perfect opportunity to justify an unhealthy pairing that everyone can relate to.


I’m not going to lie, its hard for me to justify the grease drenched, carb-filled, heart attack in triangular form, sweet goodness that is pizza, but if there was ever a reason, running a marathon would be one of them. Now, Chicago has some great pizza options out there, Edwardo’s, Giordano’s, Gino’s East, to name a few, but I think since I passed a Domino’s every time I boarded the red line for over two years, when I crave pizza, I crave Domino’s. What gets me is Domino’s pizza smells the same way it tastes. The dough is sweet, the pizza is extra greasy, and you can order online so you don’t have to share your guilt with anyone on the other line.


Most people automatically assume that pizza pairs better with beer. But according to He Said Beer, She Said Wine the pair can be argued either way. Marnie Old (the she of She Said Wine) argues that the crust of pizza cries out for oak flavors, the sauce for bright and tangy red wine, and of course the cheese is wine’s bride already. When its put that way, the pair sounds almost perfect.


Marnie suggested pairing pepperoni pizza with a Napa Valley Merlot, so to keep with the cheaper theme of the night, Michael and I went to the CVS by our house that just started carrying liquor. Nestled nicely between the Sutter Home and Barefoot, was a bottle of 2007 Blackstone Winery Merlot on sale for $8.49, originally $15.99. The label told of its fruity notes, full body, and moderate tannins, everything Marnie suggested in the pair. So we bought the bottle, and headed home to wait for the Dominos dude.

When the pizza arrived, Domino’s drenched apartment. Grease reflected off of each pre-sliced piece of perfection. The cardboard had already started to turn that darker shade of grease soaked brown. With the box top doubling as plates, Michael and I cozied up to our comfort food. Just as the bottle suggested, the merlot had a bright blackberry aroma, good legs, and a reddish purple color. Upon first taste, the wine was fairly acidic, and definitely left my mouth a little dry. But as soon as the pizza hit my palate, the marriage was like Khloe Kardashian and Lamar Odom, perfect for a moment, but leaving me dreading tomorrow’s tabloids. The tannin in the merlot was able to cut through the greasiness of the pizza, while the acidity paired with the flavors of the mozzarella cheese charmingly.

Over all it wasn’t the best Domino’s I’ve had, the crust was a little crisp, the slices were a little soaked, and the sauce was used sparingly. The wine, on the other hand, was surprisingly satisfying, and was able to mask some of the flaws of the pizza. Will the quality of the delivery stop me from eating a cold slice from the refrigerator after I get done writing this post? Of course not. But it will leave me wanting a glass of merlot. So next time you are having pizza, stop before you grab a six-pack and consider a bottle of Merlot. It might just persuade your pairing philosophy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment