Succulent Scampi with Tantalizing Torrontes

Shrimp Scampi with 2009 Crios Torrontes: 4.5/5

Between The Food Network, recipes pasted on to every grocery item you purchase from the store, and the colossal cookbook that is the internet , the dinner dilemma is not a matter of too few options , but rather a surplus. At least that was my problem last night.


This is my recommended remedy. First pick cuisine geography: Mexican, Italian, American, Thai, Chinese, French, ect. Just saying these words to yourself sparks those recognizable flavor profiles. Next think of your favorite restaurant that serves the desired geographical cuisine. Third, envision the menu, or look it up online (I like to envision, because if I look at the menu, there is the possibility I might decide to dine-out). If this does not succeed at first, repeat the process based on a different geography. When you find a dish that sparks some saliva, find a recipe, this is where the internet come in handy. If going the cyberspace route, I recommend finding a recipe that has lots of stars, and some sustainable reviews.


Last night, dinner was for a party of three, Michael, myself, and my best friend Rocio. After the great geographic debate, I had settled on shrimp scampi. I found a recipe online, http://southernfood.about.com/od/shrimprecipes/r/bln81.htm (for the sake of space, I will just be linking the recipes from now on), and looked in He said Beer, She Said Wine for a possible pairing. This recipe is a piece of cake, or I guess you could say shrimp (hardy har har). It takes probably 20 minutes, including prep, and the smell of garlic, green onion, and shrimp will linger through your kitchen the entire evening.


Marnie Old’s, the she of She Said Wine, recommends pairing garlic shrimp with a fairly full bodied, and snappy wine, like Hermanos Lurton Rueda Blanco or an Argentine Torrontes. At Un-Cork it, I had no luck finding the Rueda, and was a little hesitant in asking someone (see first post), but luckily I did find a fairly inexpensive bottle of 2009 Crios de Susana Balbo Torrontes for $14.99. Torrontes is Argentina’s “uniquely aromatic grape” displaying great fruit flavors and balance, according to the wine label.

Now for recipes that call for wine, like this shrimp scampi, I suggest using Barefoot. I find these wines fairly drinkable, but not so much pair-able, great for cooking, and most importantly, inexpensive. You can pick up the entire barefoot collection, 8 bottles, for probably $40 dollars, or cheaper if they are on sale.


Putting the scampi over cheese risotto made for a beautiful plating. I garnished the plates with a twist of lemon, and some parsley that I had from last week’s Coq Au Vin. Concerned that the wine was not going to be able to balance the rich flavors of garlic and onion in the scampi, I took my first tasting. With a silky floral and citrusy scent, the acidity in the wine was able to cut through the rich buttery texture of the risotto and scampi, leaving the palate cleansed and refreshed for each bite. Matching the body of the wine, the risotto provided a little heft. Bringing out the citrus overtones of the Torrontes, the fresh lemon juice in the scampi bounced back and forth on the tongue like kindergartners playing a game of tag.


The over all lightness of the meal left room for some dessert or seconds, but each of us came up with an excuse to have both. As we debated what scary movie to watch after dinner, lingering flavors of garlic and onion rested on my tongue. Luckily it was not one of those vampire’s nightmare meals that leave you unapproachable for days. This morning my palate is back to normal, and I am ready for another perfect pair.


0 comments:

Post a Comment